Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
Spicy (but not hot), this rich baked chicken smells heavenly and tastes wonderful. :)
- 2 tablespoons oil, divided
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts or 4 chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup thinly sliced yellow onion
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 -2 teaspoon ground cardamom, to taste
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup sliced unskinned blanched almond
- 1 1⁄2 cups plain yogurt or 1 1⁄2 cups sour cream
- salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup sliced toasted almond, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a sauté pan over medium heat; add the chicken breasts or thighs and brown for about 3 minutes per side until the chicken turns opaque.
- Remove and place the chicken in an ovenproof casserole dish or Dutch oven.
- Add the remaining oil, butter, and onion to the sauté pan; sauté until onion is wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, cardamom, coriander, black pepper and blanched sliced almonds; cook until the nuts are pale gold, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer the onion mixture to a blender (or food processor, but a blender will work a little better); add the yogurt or sour cream and puree until smooth.
- Season the sauce with salt to taste and pour over the chicken pieces in the casserole dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes, or until the chicken is tender and juices run clear.
- Garnish with toasted almonds and serve with the sauce and rice.
- Note: if you've not made this dish before, I recommend starting with 1 teaspoon of cardamom; taste it when you season to taste with salt before pouring over the chicken to bake, and add more cardamom if you like.
Wow! This was wonderful. I used one and a half teaspoons of cardamom. I actually cut my chicken into little cubes so that it would cook a bit quicker. I also added half a teaspoon of turmeric powder just for a bit of colour. It was a BIG hit with my husband and kids and I'll definitely be cooking this regularly. Thanks Julesong!