Recipe by Steve P.
A quick and easy way to prepare a nice chicken casserole. Not quite sure why it's called German style since the cheese used is Italian, but that's the name it had when I found it for a request on the recipe request board.
Top Review by Angie3
This was really yummy! I used 1/4 cup butter as 1/2 seemed a little much and it didn't seem to make any difference - the sauce still thickened up just fine. I forgot to butter the casserole dish and that didn't matter either - it didn't stick. I did not have parmesan and sprinkled shredded romano on top which made a nice golden top. And, I didn't have any lemon, paprika or nutmeg so just omitted it. I also was out of milk and mixed up a cup of buttermilk powder and water to substitute. I also added a 10 oz package of frozen broccoli to force some veggies into the kids!
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 8 ounces egg noodles, cooked and drained
- 3 cups diced cooked chicken
- 2⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons paprika
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Melt butter in large saucepan over medium low heat.
- Whisk in flour and stir 3 minutes.
- Gradually whisk in broth and milk.
- Simmer until thick, about 10 minutes.
- Blend in lemon juice and seasonings.
- Combine cooked noodles and half the sauce, tossing gently to blend.
- Place in the bottom of a buttered 2-quart casserole.
- Top with chicken and remaining sauce.
- Combine Parmesan cheese and paprika, and sprinkle over casserole.
- Bake until bubbling and golden brown, about 30 minutes.