Recipe by Feast Your Eyes!
With the cooler weather upon us, it’s the time of year to treat ourselves to some of our favorite comfort foods. Like this is easy to prepare chicken casserole that's topped with seasoned bread crumbs and shredded swiss cheese. This is a tasty casserole that family and friends will love enough to go back to for seconds!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken breasts, skinless and boneless
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced into thin rings
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup fresh button mushrooms, sliced in half
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups swiss cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, coarsely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Thoroughly wash and pat dry chicken with paper towels. Pound flat - 1/2 inch. (Cook's Tip: Place the chicken between two wax paper sheets and use gentle strokes when pounding - The meat can tear easily.).
- In a large oven-proof skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and cook, stirring often, until just starting to soften, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add wine to the skillet and increase heat to high; stir often, until the wine is slightly reduced, about 2 to 4 minutes.
- Place the chicken and mushrooms on the onions; sprinkle with thyme, salt and pepper. Cover the pan tightly with foil; transfer to the oven and bake for 12 minutes.
- In a small mixing bowl, toss together the bread crumbs, remaining oil, paprika, garlic powder, and onion powder.
- Spread the bread crumb mixture over the chicken, top with the cheese, and garnish with parsley. Return to oven and continue to bake, uncovered, until the juices run clear, about 12 - 15 minutes more.