Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
wholefoodsmarket.com recipe, says "The fall flavor combination of pears and blue cheese brings a seasonal element to an otherwise simple chicken dish. Great for a dinner party!" It may appear like a fussy dish, but it was very easy and simple to prepare. I transferred the chicken breasts to a dish to bake while using the same pan for searing, sauteing the onions and spinach and for warming the pears. I served it with a millet pilaf dish. Next time I will use more red onion.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- sea salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, diced
- 4 -6 cups loosely packed spinach, washed, dried, stems removed (not baby)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 ripe Anjou pears, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2 inch thick slices
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup blue cheese, crumbles
- Preheat oven to 375°F Generously season each chicken breast with salt and pepper. In a large, oven-proof skillet heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and sear breasts 2 to 3 minutes each side until lightly golden. Place pan in oven and bake until chicken is done, about 15 minutes.
- While chicken is cooking, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large pan over medium heat and saute red onion until just softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add spinach and toss until wilted. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a large platter or divide evenly between 4 plates. Wipe out pan and heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil with vinegar. Add pears and gently heat to warm. Stir in parsley.
- Place cooked chicken breasts on spinach. Top with warmed pear slices and about 2 tablespoons blue cheese per breast.