Cook1 hr 20 mins
This chicken is very good. The sauce is a sherry wine sauce. This is from a 1973 Betty Crocker cookbook.
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons salad oil
- 6 large chicken breast halves (2 1/2 to 3 lbs.)
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1⁄2 cup light cream (20%)
- 1⁄2 cup dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon tarragon leaf
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chervil, leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (6 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In oven, heat butter and oil in 13 1/2x9x2 inch baking dish until butter is melted.
- Place chicken in baking dish, turning to coat with butter.
- Arrange chicken skin side up; bake uncovered 1 hour.
- Heat soup, cream and Sherry, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in tarragon leaves, Worcestershire sauce, chervil leaves, garlic powder and mushrooms.
- Remove chicken from oven; drain fat from dish.
- Pour soup mixture over chicken.
- Cover tightly; cook 15 to 20 minutes longer or until fork tender.
This was delicious, I made almost exactly as written but I had chicken tenders instead of chicken breasts. As I was a little pressed for time, I browned the chicken tenders in the butter and oil placed in a baking dish sauted the mushrooms with some shallots in the leftover butter in the pan dumped in the soup, sherry and had to sub sour cream for cream and cut back on the herbs a little (picky eaters)let it all heat up and dumped that over the chicken. Covered and baked for about 35-40 min. at 350. It turned out moist and delicious. Served with buttered noodles and mashed potatoes and salad. Thank you for an easy and great recipe that everyone ate.