Prep 24 hrs
Cook 40 mins
Marinating the chicken in the sour cream or yogurt, and lemon makes this chicken very tender, and very delicious, this is an outstanding chicken recipe. It is important that only dry breadcrumbs be used for this recipe, otherwise the coating will become soggy. (tip: remove your breadcrumbs a day ahead, and spread them on a cookie sheet overnight to dry). Note: plan ahead, the chicken needs to marinate in the fridge overnight.
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream or 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 -3 cloves fresh minced garlic (or more if desired)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- black pepper
- 8 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 cups fine dry breadcrumbs (make sure to only use DRY breadcrumbs)
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (optional)
- In a very large bowl, combine the first 8 ingredients; mix well.
- Wash and pat the chicken breasts dry with a paper towel.
- Place the breasts in the mixture; turn to coat evenly, (make sure that each piece is completely coated with sour cream mixture).
- Cover, and refrigerate overnight in the refrigerator (not more than 24 hours).
- Remove the chicken from the marinade; coat each piece with the dry bread crumbs, that have been mixed with 1 tsp seasoning salt (if using).
- Arrange on a foil-lined greased baking sheet (don't overcrowd the pieces).
- Bake, uncovered in a PREHEATED 400 degree oven, for 40 minutes, or until the juices run clear-- DELICIOUS!
- Note: make sure that the oven is properly preheated to 400 degrees, and is very hot, this will make for a crisp coating and a moist chicken breast, remember-- DRY breadcrumbs only!
This was OK, but I followed the recipe as directed and it wasn't as tender and juicy as I expected. The seasonings were OK. My 15 year old liked it but my hubby and I really weren't impressed. Probably won't make again, but thanks anyway. I love most of your recipes that I've tried.
I enjoyed this, my husband and house guests did too. I marinated over night, total time was about 20 hours, using 6 breast halves (see pics for those who dont know what exactly is a half :)). For the bread crumbs I used about half progresso plain, half garlic & herb plus about 1Tbs of my Italian to get rid of the container since it was almost empty. I didnt understand the emphasis on the dry bread crumbs though. I kept re-reading my labels since I didnt want to make a mistake but I couldnt find anything other than dry bread crumbs, so I went ahead and used what I found. Worked great! I used light sour cream and baked for 40 min and saw the juices run clear. One side dish I made with this was Corn-Side-Dish-4902. And when the chicken and this side mixed it was even better. I can imagine making this again using either all Italian bread crumbs or Garlic & Herb and adding salsa or tomato sauce on top as JustJanS mentioned. And maybe flattening out the larger breast pieces for an even more even cook. But even without doing that, came out pretty tender. Thanks for posting, The Lord Jesus bless you Kittencal.
Very good chicken made this for dinner on satruday.Cut it down for 3 servings and marinated it overnight and used yoghurt instead of sour cream.Thanks Kittencal for an easy chicken dish.