Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 5 medium zucchini, sliced
- 4 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cup part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh basil
- In a shallow bowl, beat egg, water, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Set aside 2 tablespoons bread crumbs.
- Place the remaining crumbs in a large resealable plastic bag.
- Dip chicken in egg mixture, then place in bag and shake to coat.
- In a large skillet, cook chicken in 2 tablespoons oil for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown; remove and set aside.
- In the same skillet, saute zucchini in remaining oil until crisp-tender; drain.
- Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- Sprinkle the reserved bread crumbs over the zucchini.
- Top with tomato slices; sprinkle with 2/3 cup mozzarella cheese, basil and remaining salt.
- Top with chicken.
- Cover and bake at 400° for 25 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 170°.
- Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake 10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
I made this as posted, but the vegetables seemed to be lacking something. It just did not float my boat. Sorry, but thanks for sharing!
This was delicious. I cut recipe to 2 servings and did not saute the zucchini. I just layered it in the dish without pre-cooking. So that the zucchini would not cook to a mush. It turned out so good. I will make this again.
This recipe was fabulous!! I used parmesan breadcrumbs instead of plain and it was absolutely amazing! It will be added to our favorites.