Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
There is something homey and comforting about chicken and rice.
Top Review by Two Socks
I have had major problems with baked chicen and rice recipes in my past what with overcooked rice and dry, rubbery chicken in an incredibly bland sauce. But, I knew I had to give this recipe a try, though with some modifications. I used boneless and skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes, and cooked them off in a skillet, then set them aside. I melted 3 Tab. butter to my skillet, and when it was melted, I added half an onion, finely chopped, and the rice, and cooked it all pilaf style with some dried thyme, and a pinch of dried oregano and savery leaf, and finished with the zest of a lemon. I then added my chicken broth, 3 carrots I had peeled and sliced 1/4 inch, and a cup of frozen peas. I then added the chicken back in, covered it, and baked it at 350 for 20 minutes. I then uncovered the pan and spread the honey mustard sauce over the top, and finished baking, uncovered, for 15 minutes longer. And, since I had no yogurt, I used an equal amount of sour cream. The result was the most delicious honey mustard skillet I have ever had, and the carrots were perfectly cooked. I do think that there could be more rice, but I'd have to increase the broth to compensate, and there could be even more vegies as well. The rice was perfectly cooked and everything else was excellent, including a sauce with a pleasant, bright flavor. Thanks for giving me the enspiration to make this dish. I hope you don't mind my giving it no stars, but I thought it was only fair since I made so many changes to the original recipe.
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 (3 1/2 lb) whole chickens, cut into serving pieces, excess skin and fat trimmed
- 2 1⁄4 cups hot chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spread rice in a lightly sprayed or oiled 13x9 inch glass baking dish.
- Arrange chicken on top; pour broth over.
- Cover tightly with foil; bake 45 minutes.
- In a bowl, whisk together the yogurt, honey, mustard, soy sauce, ginger, salt, and pepper.
- Uncover baking dish; spread yogurt mixture over chicken.
- Bake, uncovered, until rice is tender and chicken is no longer pink in the center, about 15 minutes longer.