Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
My family loves this recipe I got from my Mom when I got married. It's one of my favorites. I usually double or triple the rice part of this recipe my kids love it and there's not enough of it if I don't. Hope you love it as much as we do!
- 4 -6 chicken breasts
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil (approximately)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄3 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 3⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1⁄2 bay leaf
- 2⁄3 teaspoon salt
- 10 drops food coloring (for appearence only)
- 3⁄4 cup long grain rice
- Place chicken breast, skinned and rinsed and patted dry into 13x9 pan.
- Brush tops and bottoms of chicken well with vegetable oil and place chicken meaty side up in pan. Discard remaining oil.
- Sprinkle with 3/4 tsp salt, 1/3 tsp garlic salt and 1/4 tsp pepper.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- In a sauce pan combine 1 3/4 cup water, 2 chicken bouilion cubes, 1/3 cup chopped onion, 1 tsp parsley flakes, 1/2 bay leaf, 2/3 tsp salt and 10 drops yellow food coloring.
- Bring just to a boil.
- Remove chicken from pan, dump sauce pan ingredients into pan with chicken drippings. Sprinkle 3/4 cup long grain rice evely over broth mixture.
- Place chicken on top of rice with meaty side down this time and cover tightly with foil.
- Bake at 350 for 40 minutes. Remove bay leaf and discard. Enjoy!
Had to double the cooking time as rice and chicken were not done in 40 minutes. Wrapped pan tightly in foil and everything was fine. May have just been my old electric oven.
Very good! I made this tonight using 7 chicken legs because that is what I had on hand. I doubled the rice and the other saucepan ingredients. I used 16 drops of yellow food-coloring and that was plenty. DH is already looking forward to leftovers for lunch tomorrow:) Next time I may take the chicken out the last 15 minutes, put in its own pan with a little bbq sauce just for some contrast in color. Thanks for a good recipe!
This is absolutely delicious! I added some carrots and peas and ended up making more rice, so I had to cook my chicken separately, but it still came out well. Oh, and I didn't have parsley, so I added Italian seasoning instead. Definitely a keeper! Thanks!