Recipe by Chris from Kansas
A delicious one-dish meal that is a good variation from chicken with rice. We really like the orzo pasta.
Top Review by greeneggs
Very easy to make. There wasn't anything offensive in the recipe, we just found it to be bland; I had even added extra salt, boullion granules, garlic powder, and replaced the water with more chicken stock. My main problem was with the recipe directions, step 5 says to brown meat-side down, but the ingredient list calls for boneless skinless chicken breasts not a bone in breast. I didn't see the point to adding the olive oil and salt at the end, I added the salt at the beginning and skipped the olive oil alltogether. I did use olive oil when browning the chicken. I also found the cooking time to be much to long. I checked the dish at 40 min and the chicken was dried out and all of the stock had been absorbed, the orzo was tender so I took it out of the oven and served it.
- nonstick cooking spray
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 10 ounces uncooked orzo pasta
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray large nonstick skillet with cooking spray.
- Heat over high heat until hot.
- Add chicken breast halves.
- Brown meat side down, 1 to 2 minutes or until lightly browned; set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium-high; add wine.
- Stir with a flat spatula, scraping brown bits from bottom of pan.
- Cook 30 seconds or until slightly reduced; set aside.
- Spray 9-inch square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add pasta, onions, garlic, parsley, oregano, chicken broth, water and wine mixture; stir.
- Place chicken breasts on top.
- Sprinkle lightly with paprika and lemon pepper.
- Bake, uncovered, 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- Remove chicken.
- Add salt and olive oil to baking pan; mix well.
- Place chicken on top.