Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
We like chicken! The easiest thing for me is to season it and throw it in the oven! This is how we most commonly make it, but you can change up the recipe to suit your taste. Sometimes I season the chicken, portion it and freeze it right after I buy it, so that all I have to do is defrost and cook!
- 14 chicken thighs
- 1 large onion (quartered)
- 1 -2 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon bay leaf powder
- potato (optional)
- onion (sliced) (optional)
- Preheat oven to 300°F Lightly oil baking dish.
- Trim excess fat from chicken and remove skin if desired. Cut small slits in several places on the pieces of chicken to allow seasonings to get into the meat.
- Combine the quarterd onion, garlic, salt and spices (to taste, but start with 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp all else) in a food processor and puree. Lemon pepper and italian seasoning combination works well too.
- Pour marinade on chicken and rub into slits (and under skin if leaving on). Allow to marinate in refrigerator overnight if time permits or bake right away for 1.5 to 2 hours. Cover with foil if removing skin from chicken.
- If using potatoes and onions, slice into 1/4 inch slices and place in baking dish under the chicken.
- Check for doneness at about 1 hour. If there is too much liquid that has cooked out, pour into a separate container and reserve for another use. Cover the chicken and continue cooking for additional 30 - 60 minutes.