Recipe by Donnalou86
I found this recipe in the reader's digest, quick and easy cookbook. I thought it looked intriguing, and it turned out delicious! Something really different as we've never really heard of a cheeseburger casserole in the UK.
- 1 ounce butter
- 6 slices white bread, toasted
- 1 1⁄4 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 tablespoon prepared English mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces strong cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 egg
- 6 fluid ounces milk
- 1 pinch dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Spread the butter on both sides of the toasted bread, cut the slices in half diagonally, and set aside.
- Heat a medium sized, heavy frying pan over a moderate heat. Add the beef, onion, celery, prepared mustard and 1/2 tsp of the salt.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the beef has browned - around 5 minutes.
- In a greased shallow casserole dish, place alternate layers of toast, beef mixture, then cheese.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg, then stir in the milk, dry mustard and the remaining salt. Pour this mix over the casserole (that should have the last cheese layer at the top). Sprinkle with the paprika, bake for 25 minutes, and serve.