Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
Make and share this Baked Cheese Toast (gruyere or Swiss) recipe from Food.com.
- 8 slices home-style white bread or 8 slices Texas toast thick bread
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup milk, divided
- 2 cups gruyere or 2 cups swiss cheese, shredded (8 oz)
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon kirsch or 1 tablespoon cherry brandy
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 dash nutmeg
- Butter bread and place butter-side down in 12x8" baking dish.
- Sprinkle with about 2 tbsp milk.
- Combine remaining milk, cheese, egg yolks, kirsch and seasonings; mix well.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peak forms; fold into cheese and milk mixture.
- Pour mixture over bread in baking dish.
- Bake at 350°F for 25 minutes or until puffed and golden brown.
- Serve immediately.