1 hr 15 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Adjust an oven rack to the lower-middle position and preheat oven to 350°.
- 2Grease a 9 x 9 inch baking dish with 1 teaspoon butter.
- 3Heat the remaining 2 tbs butter in a large saucepan over medium heat until the foam begins to subside.
- 4Add the onion and cook until softened but not browned, about 4 minutes.
- 5Add 3 cups water, the cream, hot sauce, and salt and bring to a boil.
- 6Whisk in the grits and decrease heat to low.
- 7Cook, stirring frequently, until the grits are thick and creamy, about 15 minutes.
- 8Off the heat, thoroughly stir in 1 1/2 cup cheese, the eggs, and pepper to taste.
- 9Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish, smooth the top with a rubber spatula, and place the grits in the oven.
- 10Bake for 30 minutes.
- 11Remove the dish from the oven, sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup cheese evenly over the top, and return to the oven.
- 12Continue baking until the top is browned, about 15 minutes.
- 13Let rest for 5 minutes and serve.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Cheese Grits
Serving Size: 1 (162 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 505.1
- Calories from Fat 329
- Total Fat 36.6 g
- Saturated Fat 22.1 g
- Cholesterol 205.4 mg
- Sodium 529.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 17.4 g