Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Make and share this Baked Cheese Grits recipe from Food.com.
- Adjust an oven rack to the lower-middle position and preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease a 9 x 9 inch baking dish with 1 teaspoon butter.
- Heat the remaining 2 tbs butter in a large saucepan over medium heat until the foam begins to subside.
- Add the onion and cook until softened but not browned, about 4 minutes.
- Add 3 cups water, the cream, hot sauce, and salt and bring to a boil.
- Whisk in the grits and decrease heat to low.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until the grits are thick and creamy, about 15 minutes.
- Off the heat, thoroughly stir in 1 1/2 cup cheese, the eggs, and pepper to taste.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish, smooth the top with a rubber spatula, and place the grits in the oven.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the dish from the oven, sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup cheese evenly over the top, and return to the oven.
- Continue baking until the top is browned, about 15 minutes.
- Let rest for 5 minutes and serve.