Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This came from the Dallas Morning Newspaper! Hope you like.
- 6 cups water
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons salt (divided use)
- 2 cups quick-cooking grits
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely minced garlic
- 1⁄2 lb coarsely grated cheddar cheese
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bring water and 3/4 teaspoon salt to a boil.
- Add the grits in a slow stream, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat and gently simmer, stirring frequently to avoid sticking, until thick (about 8 minutes).
- Add butter, remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, pepper, garlic and cheese.
- Stir until cheese and butter are melted.
- Lightly beat eggs and milk in a small bowl, then stir into grits until combined.
- Pour into an ungreased 8 inch square baking dish that is 2 inches deep.
- The grits will almost fill the baking dish and will puff up when baking, but will not overflow.
- Bake until set and lightly browned, about 1 hour.
- Serve Immediately.