Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a wonderful cheesy side dish that pretty much goes with everything!
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup grits
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 3 drops Tabasco sauce (I use McIlhenny co)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Boil water then add in grits. Cook until grits are soft.
- Stir in salt, butter, Tabasco sauce, egg, and shredded cheddar cheese.
- Mix well & pour into glass baking dish. Cook on 350° for 1 hour.
This wasa very good recipe, somewhat oily from all the butter, I think I would half the butter and add 1 cup more cheese. We used sharp cheddar and it was lovely. We did feel the need to salt it though. A tip I ould like to add is to beat the egg before adding it, and add it SLOWLY while whisking the entire time so you don't have scrambled egg. I would also add the cheese in small amounts so it doesn't clump. I baked this in a souffle dish, but next time wopuld use a rectangular baking dish for more of the "chewy" sides that we were all fighting over. All in all this dish has IMMENSE potential. I am sauting pork sausage with onions and peppers to top the leftovers this weekend for breakfast. My husband who is a grit purist enjoyed this....of course I told him he was eating southern cheese souffle to get him to try it! What can I say? I'm evil!