Prep 5 mins
Cook 50 mins
A Southern specialty
- 4 cups milk
- 2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups grits, use quick cooking grits
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- Heat oven to 350F degrees and lightly grease a shallow 2 quart baking dish.
- Bring milk and water to boil in a large heavy saucepan over high heat.
- Slowly stir in grits and continue stirring until they start to boil.
- Reduce heat to low and cook until thick (4-6 minutes), Stir often.
- Remove from heat, stir in cheese and remaining ingredients.
- Make sure to keep stirring until well blended and smooth.
- Pour into dish.
- Bake until puffed and lightly browned, 35- 40 minutes.
A family favorite. I omit the red pepper and double the cheese. Reserve a half cup or so of cheese to top with for the last five minutes or so of cooking. Also, I use a nice sharp cheddar.
The texture seemed too runny in step 4, so I added an extra 1/2 c. grits. This is the same ratio in the directions on the package of quick grits. The dish did not set up as firmly as I was hoping for. Not enough cheese. Not enough salt.
Sounds great even with the 339 calories per serving.