Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a good side dish, or main for veggies.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 300 g long grain rice
- 1 liter chicken stock or 1 liter vegetable stock
- 227 g canned chopped tomatoes
- 100 g mature cheddar cheese, cubed
- Heat oven to 180c/160c fan/gas 4.
- Heat oil in a large flameproof casserole and cook onion and red pepper for about 5 mins until golden and softened.
- ~Add garlic and cook another minute.
- Stir in the rice and when fully coated with oil add the stock and tomatoes.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes until almost all liquid has been absorbed.
- Scatter the cheese over, cover and bake in oven for about 30 minutes till rice is tender.
- Stand for 5 minutes before serving.
- For Vegetarian use the 1 liter vegetable stock not the Chicken stock.
This rice turned out so good. Full of flavor. I baked it at 350 F for 30 minutes. DH found it a bit overcooked but I didn't. Maybe next time I'll cook it for 25 minutes. I highly recommend this rice. Thanks Patchwork Dragon :) Made for PAC Fall 2011
This was a great rice side dish! I made this to go along with recipe #1331106... The whole family really enjoyed this too. Thanks for posting, I have enjoyed making your recipes for PAC fall 08'