Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
An upscale macaroni and cheese. Delicate flavor, has been popular with kids and adults. Recipe is from an Antonio's pasta bag.
- Bring 6 quarts of salted water to a boil.
- Meanwhile, saute mushrooms in 1 tbs.
- butter over medium heat for two minutes.
- Add Sherry, stir for 1 minute and remove mushrooms from heat.
- Cook the cavatappi in the boiling water until al dente and drain.
- While pasta is cooking, melt 3 tbs.
- butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the flour and whisk until smooth.
- Gradually add milk and continue whisking.
- Stir over heat until sauce thickens, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add sauteed mushrooms, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Butter a large ovenproof dish, and arrange 1/3 of the cavatappi in the dish.
- Top with 1/3 of the cheese and ham and spoon on 1/3 of the sauce.
- Repeat the layers two more times, ending with sauce.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven until heated through and bubbly, about 20 to 30 minutes minutes.
- (Casserole may also be refrigerated and baked later. Increase baking time to 30 minutes for a chilled casserole.) (DJM notes: use a dish smaller and a little deeper than a basic 9x13.).
All I can say is WOW! This is easy to make, relatively quick to make, and is REALLY good!!! Thanks DJM! This is a nice grown-up mac n cheese that has a nice, smooth taste and the pasta's a new type of shape for us. We used cavatelli and a 13x9" pan in two layers. I've been hunting for a fontina recipe. We'll definitely have this again.
This is my Mac n Cheese from now on!!!! I love mushrooms, but I leave them out of this recipe because personally I can't bear the thought of mushrooms and cheese. I'm making this for our Family Christmas Dinner, I hope everyone likes it as much as I do.