Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
An upscale macaroni and cheese. Delicate flavor, has been popular with kids and adults. Recipe is from an Antonio's pasta bag.
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine
- 1 lb cavatappi pasta
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk (may use low fat)
- 1 pinch grated nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- 5 ounces Fontina cheese, in julienne strips
- 8 ounces smoked ham, coarsely chopped
- Bring 6 quarts of salted water to a boil.
- Meanwhile, saute mushrooms in 1 tbs.
- butter over medium heat for two minutes.
- Add Sherry, stir for 1 minute and remove mushrooms from heat.
- Cook the cavatappi in the boiling water until al dente and drain.
- While pasta is cooking, melt 3 tbs.
- butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the flour and whisk until smooth.
- Gradually add milk and continue whisking.
- Stir over heat until sauce thickens, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add sauteed mushrooms, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Butter a large ovenproof dish, and arrange 1/3 of the cavatappi in the dish.
- Top with 1/3 of the cheese and ham and spoon on 1/3 of the sauce.
- Repeat the layers two more times, ending with sauce.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven until heated through and bubbly, about 20 to 30 minutes minutes.
- (Casserole may also be refrigerated and baked later. Increase baking time to 30 minutes for a chilled casserole.) (DJM notes: use a dish smaller and a little deeper than a basic 9x13.).
All I can say is WOW! This is easy to make, relatively quick to make, and is REALLY good!!! Thanks DJM! This is a nice grown-up mac n cheese that has a nice, smooth taste and the pasta's a new type of shape for us. We used cavatelli and a 13x9" pan in two layers. I've been hunting for a fontina recipe. We'll definitely have this again.
This is my Mac n Cheese from now on!!!! I love mushrooms, but I leave them out of this recipe because personally I can't bear the thought of mushrooms and cheese. I'm making this for our Family Christmas Dinner, I hope everyone likes it as much as I do.