Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
An upscale macaroni and cheese. Delicate flavor, has been popular with kids and adults. Recipe is from an Antonio's pasta bag.
- Bring 6 quarts of salted water to a boil.
- Meanwhile, saute mushrooms in 1 tbs.
- butter over medium heat for two minutes.
- Add Sherry, stir for 1 minute and remove mushrooms from heat.
- Cook the cavatappi in the boiling water until al dente and drain.
- While pasta is cooking, melt 3 tbs.
- butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the flour and whisk until smooth.
- Gradually add milk and continue whisking.
- Stir over heat until sauce thickens, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add sauteed mushrooms, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Butter a large ovenproof dish, and arrange 1/3 of the cavatappi in the dish.
- Top with 1/3 of the cheese and ham and spoon on 1/3 of the sauce.
- Repeat the layers two more times, ending with sauce.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven until heated through and bubbly, about 20 to 30 minutes minutes.
- (Casserole may also be refrigerated and baked later. Increase baking time to 30 minutes for a chilled casserole.) (DJM notes: use a dish smaller and a little deeper than a basic 9x13.).