An upscale macaroni and cheese. Delicate flavor, has been popular with kids and adults. Recipe is from an Antonio's pasta bag.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Bring 6 quarts of salted water to a boil.
- 2Meanwhile, saute mushrooms in 1 tbs.
- 3butter over medium heat for two minutes.
- 4Add Sherry, stir for 1 minute and remove mushrooms from heat.
- 5Cook the cavatappi in the boiling water until al dente and drain.
- 6While pasta is cooking, melt 3 tbs.
- 7butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- 8Add the flour and whisk until smooth.
- 9Gradually add milk and continue whisking.
- 10Stir over heat until sauce thickens, about 10 minutes.
- 11Remove from heat and add sauteed mushrooms, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- 12Butter a large ovenproof dish, and arrange 1/3 of the cavatappi in the dish.
- 13Top with 1/3 of the cheese and ham and spoon on 1/3 of the sauce.
- 14Repeat the layers two more times, ending with sauce.
- 15Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven until heated through and bubbly, about 20 to 30 minutes minutes.
- 16(Casserole may also be refrigerated and baked later. Increase baking time to 30 minutes for a chilled casserole.) (DJM notes: use a dish smaller and a little deeper than a basic 9x13.).
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Cavatappi with Smoked Ham and Fontina
Serving Size: 1 (252 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 635.2
- Calories from Fat 227
- Total Fat 25.2 g
- Saturated Fat 13.8 g
- Cholesterol 90.8 mg
- Sodium 910.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 30.5 g