Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Baked cauliflower in a creamy cheese sauce that doesn't use cream-of-X soup. Note: I have made this with skim milk and lowfat cheese and it works, but you have to cook the sauce longer to get it to thicken.
- Cut cauliflower into bite size pieces and steam until just tender.
- While it is steaming, melt the butter and add the red pepper flakes and garlic powder (if using).
- Add the flour and mix until smooth and thickened.
- Mix in the milk a bit at a time stirring each time until smooth.
- Cook, stirring constantly, over a medium heat until thick and creamy (this takes awhile).
- Add 1 cup cheese cheese and stir until melted.
- Remove sauce from heat and salt and pepper the sauce to taste.
- Spread the cauliflower in a 9 x 13 pan (or casserole dish).
- Pour the cheese sauce evenly over the cauliflower and then sprinkle with 1 cup cheese (if desired).
- Bake at 350 F until cheese is melted.
Great recipe. I added one ingredient - bread crumbs sprinkled over cheese sauce and before the final 1 cup of cheese.
Great recipe! I added a little lemon juice for some extra zing, I didn't have a whole head of cauliflower and found that I needed only about 4 tbs flour and 1c milk. Very yummy!
Very nice recipe, not a spec left. I only used 4 tbsp. flour and it made a nice creamy sauce. I did use whole milk and 2 cups of old cheddar in the sauce as well as the extra cup of cheese on top. I liked having the veg in the oven and not fussing with cheese sauce at the last minute. I will be making this again. Thanks for sharing your recipe.