Recipe by **Mandy**
From an old Woolworths mag..this is such a great side, the bacon really adds a lovely depth of flavour.
Top Review by TasteTester
Scrumptious! I was looking for a recipe to use some leftover bacon and cauliflower, and came along this one. I wasn't sure what 40g of butter was, so I just tossed in a tbsp. and cooked it with all of the bacon and onions. I took out half the bacon and then made the sauce with the semi-cooked cauliflower & the bacon and onions left in the pan. When thickened, I poured it into the casserole, and mixed the rest of the cooked and chopped bacon with the breadcrumbs and grated cheddar cheese. A nice crunchy topping which went well with the creamy cauliflower mixture. Loved it!
- 1 medium cauliflower, trimmed and divided into florets
- 40 g butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 slices bacon, rind removed & finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups skim milk
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 1⁄2 cups tasty cheese, grated
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1⁄3 cup breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat oven to 180.C.
- Grease a 6 cup baking dish.
- Cook Cauliflower in boiling salted water for 5 mins or until just tender, drain well & arrange in baking dish.
- Heat butter in a saucepan over medium heat and cook onion and half the bacon for 4 mins or until softened. Remove pan from heat, add flour and stir with a wooden spoon until combined. Return to heat & cook gently for 2 minutes.
- Gradually add milk, stirring continuously and bring to a boil. Add mustard, nutmeg, 1 cup cheese and season with salt & pepper. Stir until cheese has melted.
- Pour sauce over cauliflower & sprinkle with breadcrumbs and remaining cheese. Bake for 15 mins or until golden.