Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
I'm not that crazy about carrots, but this one looks like it would be pretty good. I'd like to try it for a change from other vegetables I usually make. Recipe is from Taste of the South.
- 2 lbs carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices and divided
- 6 slices swiss cheese, divided
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup onion, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 5 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil.
- Add carrots and cook for 5-7 minutes, or until carrots are crisp-tender.
- Plunge into ice water to stop cooking.
- Layer half of carrots in a 2-quart baking dish.
- Cover with 3 slices Swiss cheese.
- Repeat with remaining carrots and cheese slices.
- In medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook for 2 minutes, or until soft.
- Sprinkle flour, salt and chili powder over onions.
- Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add milk and cook for 10 minutes, stirring until thickened.
- Pour sauce over carrots and cheese.
- In small bowl, combine bread crumbs, bacon and melted butter.
- Sprinkle evenly over carrots and sauce.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
Very nice. I used wholewheat crumbs and shredded swiss instead of the slices. :)