Recipe by CulinaryQueen
This is something I just whipped up over the Christmas Holidays. Try to use larger carrots. My MIL loved it so much that she even asked me to write down the recipe. Hope you enjoy it as much as she did!
Top Review by Boomette
So easy to do. I sliced the carrots with my food processor. I used cayenne but maybe less than 1/8 teaspoon. I used 6 carrots. 2 small onions. Thanks CulinaryQueen :) We enjoyed it a lot and we have leftovers :D Made for 123 hit wonders.
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 2 onions, diced
- 5 -6 carrots
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dill
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease the bottom and sides of a covered casserole dish with 1 tablespoon of butter and set aside.
- Melt the other tablespoon of butter in a skillet and slowly cook the onions, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and tender.
- Preheat oven to 180C/350°F.
- While the onions cook, peel and THINLY slice the carrots and put them into the buttered casserole dish. The slices should be about the thickness of a nickel (or a pound coin in the UK). If they are too thick, they will take longer than noted to cook.
- When the onions are cooked, add them to the carrots and mix them around a bit.
- In a small bowl, combine the orange juice, honey, paprika, garlic powder, dill, cayenne (if using), melted butter, salt and pepper.
- Pour this mixture over the carrots, cover and bake for one hour. Remove from oven and test to see that carrots are firm but tender. If need be, return to oven and cook an additional 5-15 minutes.
- Enjoy now because I can almost guarantee that you won't have any leftovers!