1 hr 30 mins
Luscious, warm, melt in your mouth tomatoes with cheese. Heaven. Simple to make and oh, so elegant. Serve these delectables with baked chicken, grilled duck, broiled lamb chops or just over pasta with a quick side salad.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 large tomatoes
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1/2 bunch parsley, chopped
- 3 tablespoons oregano leaves, chopped fresh
- 6 garlic cloves, pressed
- 6 green onions, minced
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1Butter a large baking dish, large enough to hold the tomato halves side by side without overlapping.
- 2Slice the tomatoes in half, horizontally.
- 3Scoop out the insides and place in a strainer.
- 4Turn the tomato shells upside down on paper towels to drain.
- 5Chop the flesh of the tomatoes and drain or squeeze most of the liquid out.
- 6Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 7In a large mixing bowl, mix the breadcrumbs, 3/4 Cup of the Parmesan, parsley, oregano, garlic, chopped tomatoes, and green onions.
- 8Incorporate half of the olive oil into the mixture.
- 9Salt and Pepper to taste, add more olive oil as needed, it should stick together but not be wet. You may need to use all of the olive oil or just some of it, all depends on how much liquid remains in the tomatoes.
- 10Place the tomato shells in the baking dish and evenly distribute the mozzarella slices in the bottom of each then fill with the breadcrumb mixture.
- 11Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
- 12Remove from oven and top tomatoes with the remaining Parmesan and return to oven to bake for another 15 or 30 minutes, until the cheese creates a nice caramel crusty top.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Caramelized Parmesan Tomatoes
Serving Size: 1 (131 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 186.9
- Calories from Fat 118
- Total Fat 13.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 11.0 mg
- Sodium 229.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 6.5 g