Recipe by brkfst cook
This is a recipe that came from my grandmother. I was going through some of her recipe cards today remembering all the good times we had cooking and baking "up north" and I wanted to put it on here...just in case I lost the original handwritten copy.
Top Review by socholy
This recipe was given to me by a friend. The only difference was that it used 6 quarts popped popcorn. (Note use 2 cookie sheets) It is a really great recipe! Fantastic to give as gifts during the holidays!
- 1 cup butter (NO substitutions)
- 2 cups brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 1⁄2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 5 quarts popped corn (it is best if you do it the "old-fashioned" way with oil and popcorn in a pan on the stove...microwa)
- 2 cups nuts (your choice) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- melt butter.
- stir in brown sugar, corn syrup and salt. bring to a boil stirring constantly.
- boil without stirring 5 minutes (this is crucial).
- remove from heat, gradually stir in baking soda and vanilla.
- place your popcorn and nuts in a large bowl. gradually pour the caramel mixture onto the popcorn mixing well.
- place popcorn on baking sheets and bake at 250 degrees for 1 hour stirring every 15 minutes.
- remove from oven and let cool completely. break apart and store in air tight container.