Prep 5 hrs
Cook 20 mins
These are a baked, vegan mock up of one of my long-gone favourite doughnuts. A yeasted base is filled with a luxurious caramel-coffee custard and capped off with a simple powdered sugar icing. A final drizzle of caramel adds an ooey gooey pizazz! *Note - you'll only use about 1/2 the custard recipe for filling the donuts. The rest? Dunk the scraps!
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1⁄4 cup instant potato flakes
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 1 teaspoon instant yeast
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups warm almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons melted vegan butter (like Earth Balance or Becel Vegan)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup custard, like Caramel Cappuccino Custard
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vodka
- 2 teaspoons clear corn syrup
- 5 tablespoons vegan caramel sauce, like Vegan Caramel Sauce
- In a large bowl (I don't recommend a stand mixer for this) whisk together the flours, potato flakes, flaxseed, yeast and sugar.
- Add the almond milk, vanilla, melted vegan butter and salt and mix well until the dough resembles a very thick batter.
- Cover and let rest 45 minutes.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
- Flour a countertop *very* well and scrape the dough onto it. It will spread out by itself since it's still very soft.
- Gently pat the dough out to about 1" thickness and using a floured round cutter cut out as many circles as you can (I got 10). Gather the scraps together and cut into pieces, you won't be able to fill them but they make good "donut holes". Place on lined sheets.
- Cover and let rest 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 430°F Bake, 1 sheet at a time, for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the sheets immediately and cool on a wire rack.
- Once donuts have cooled, fill a piping bag fitted with a Bismarck tip (like Wilton or Ateco #230) with the cooled Recipe #479020.
- Fill the donuts with even amounts of custard. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together sugar and vodka until smooth.
- Whisk in corn syrup until icing is smooth and glossy.
- Dip tops of filled donuts and allow glaze to set firm, then drizzle each with 1/2 tbsp of Recipe #479018 (reheat it if necessary).
- Let set and serve.