Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
I am specifying Baked in this pudding title as opposed to the creamy, soft set, chilled type. This old fashioned pudding is sticky, rich and oh so wonderful. A bit more dense than Sticky Date pudding with toffee sauce. But if you like Date pudding then chances are you will like this too. This is also a self saucing pudding.
- 3⁄4 cup plain flour
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups coarsely chopped apples (with or without peels)
- 3⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar (light or dark)
- 1⁄4 cup softened butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 3⁄4 cup boiling water
- For pudding: Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, milk, and apples in a medium mixing bowl until well blended.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Spread in a greased 1 1/2 quart casserole or 1-9 inch square or round, greased, metal baking pan.
- For sauce: Mix brown sugar, butter, and water. Stir until butter is melted.
- Pour sauce over pudding batter and bake for 40-50 minutes until brown and set.
- Serve with ice cream, heavy whipped cream or let it stand on it's own.
I messed up this recipe. I thought the sauce was added after the pudding part was cooked. The pudding had cooked 15 minutes before I added the sauce. It still turned out good. I reduced it down to 3 servings. I let it cook 25 minutes rather that the time the recipe called for. It was still good and deserving of the 5 star rating I am giving it. I will try it again cooking it the right way.
This was the best caramel apple dessert I've ever had! I made a few changes, but nothing major. I doubled the recipe and put it in a 9x13 pan. Baking for 45 minutes at 375
We had some apples that were going to be slightly over ripe. I doubled the recipe and used extra apples. This recipe was a hit! I will have to make it again. We tried some whipped cream and it was good. Several guests suggested vanilla ice cream on top.