Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Giada De Laurentis - I used day old foccacio bread, mixed minced garlic and olive oil to brush onto the slices of bread.
- 1 loaf baguette, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices (about 30 to 36 slices)
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 5 roma tomatoes, sliced
- 1 1⁄4 lbs fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1 bunch fresh basil leaf, stemmed
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Arrange the sliced baguette bread on a baking sheet.
- Brush with some of the olive oil.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Bake until the bread is pale golden and crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven.
- Top each slice of bread with a slice of tomato and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Top each slice of tomato with a slice of mozzarella and sprinkle with salt.
- Return the baking sheet to the oven until the cheese and tomato are warmed, about 5 minutes.
- Arrange the toasts on a serving platter.
- Top each toast with a basil leaf.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and serve.
Excellent! I had sone Itailian bread here and used that...it was a great fast appy for us.
Great simple delicious recipe! I substitued sliced whole wheat Pampered Chef beer bread in place of the baguette and cooked in the toaster oven so I didn't even have to heat up the kitchen. Delicious, quick, simple!
This was delicious!! I used every day brown bread toasted, I had no baguette. and I just made two for my supper, oh my sooo delicious with a huge fresh tomato and part skim mozzarella cheese!! I shredded some of the basil and put it on top of the cheese before i put it in the oven. Thanks for posting I will be making it again with a baguette for a Sunday appetizer. thanks for posting!!Aug 23/09 made this with the baguette for Sunday appie today, YUMMO!!