Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 8 mins
Cook 1 hr
Baked cabbage? I haven't tried this yet, but I'm very intrigued. The recipe is from Nita Mehta's Vegetarian Cooking.
- 3 cups grated cabbage
- 1 1⁄2 cups chickpea flour
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped gingerroot
- 1⁄2 cup oil, plus
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄2 cup finely grated coconut or 1⁄2 cup desiccated coconut
- 3 tablespoons fresh coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Except sesame seeds, mix all ingredients together to make a thick batter of pouring consistency.
- Put in a greased medium-sized shallow baking dish to get 3/4" thick layer (a 9" square dish probably works best). Sprinkle some sesame seeds on top.
- Bake at 180C/350F for 50-60 minutes til it turns brownish.
- Cut into 1" squares only after it cools down. Serve at room temperature or warm in a microwave to serve.
I'm always amazed at how the flavor of chickpea flour can change after cooking. I hate it out of the sack, and yet here (with minimal ingredients) it comes out tasting almost buttery! I had to try this when I saw it. It's just so oddball. And I didn't have much in the house, but I did have these ingredients. Added a few tbsp chopped onions, otherwise made exactly to recipe. I don't really know how to rate it! It is definitely tastey, but in an odd way. I enjoyed it for lunch, but I don't think I'd make it again (mine never did become cuttable either, very crumbly) I would just say give it a try!
This is yummy and healthy at the same time.........My friend made it for a pot luck and I could not stop eating it. I am definitely going to make this for our next pot luck