Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
An easy way to make every day ingredients into an elegant meal. I got the orginal recipe from an Italian cooking magazine but have changed out both the cheese and meat depending on what I have. I've listed what I've used below.
- 1 tablespoon bacon fat
- 4 cups chopped cabbage
- 2 slices toasted whole wheat bread
- 1 cup julienned ham or 1 cup bacon or 1 cup prosciutto
- 8 ounces fontina or 8 ounces gruyere or 8 ounces swiss cheese or 8 ounces provolone cheese
- 1 quart chicken stock or 1 quart vegetable stock
- In a pot, saute chopped cabbage, and cook until wilted.
- Line the bottom of a deep, ovenproof pot with toasted wheat bread. Top with the cooked cabbage mixture.
- Add the julienned meat of your choice and a layer of your cheese of choice.
- Add chicken or vegetable stock, cover, and place in a 350 oven for 1 hour. Remove the lid during the last 20 minutesofbaking so the top can brown.
I was just going to post this, glad I dont have to. I make it a bit diferently. I use 1/4 cup diced pancetta and cook it in a little olive oil b4 adding the cabbage. I also love this with rye bread and swiss cheese. A good Tuscan wheat bread is great with fontina and gruyere. Its great with a good homemade meat stock.