Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
I found this in "The Fresh Fruit & Vegetable Cook Book". Well I had some fresh cabbage and fresh tomatoes I needed to use up, found this recipe to try. Wow was it good. It was even better the next day. I didn't have any marjoram on hand so I omitted it. It still tasted great and don't think I'll use next time either.
- 1 lb head cabbage
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground marjoram
- 2 1⁄2 cups tomatoes, cut up
- 1 cup cracker crumb
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Wash the cabbage and cut into quarters. Discard the core and shred coarsely. Cook in water for about 8 minutes, until tender then drain.
- Heat oil in saucepan. Add onion and saute until transparent.
- Blend in flour, salt, pepper, marjoram and stir until thickened, adding tomatoes last.
- Place 1/3 of tomato mixture in casserole. Add1 part cabbage, repeat.
- Cover with cracker crumbs and grated cheese.
- Bake at 375 for 25 minutes.
This was a lovely dish. My dh was over the moon. He absolutely enhaled it and couldn't get enough. He would have liked to have given you 10*'s. The cabbage was tender and tasty. The tomatoes are a nice additional. I did add the marjoram it gives it a nice flavor. I would add a little sugar next time, as I found it a little bitter. Thanks for sharing this quick and easy to make recipe, which I will be making again. :lol: