Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Comfort food in an easy to make side dish.
- 1 small cabbage, sliced into 1 inch wide wedges
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup rye bread, crumbs (I used caraway seeded)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Add cabbage to boiling salted water, cook 2 minutes, drain.
- Combine soup, milk and cheese.
- Spoon 1/2 the cabbage into a buttered casserole, top with 1/2 the soup mixture and repeat.
- Combine butter and bread crumbs and sprinkle over the top.
- Bake 30 minutes until hot and bubbly.
OK I just had to make this seeing someone give it 1 star. In a dutch oven I fried 1 diced onion in 2 tablespoons butter then added the chopped cabbage to it let it cook just to heat through added milk, cheese, 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds,lots of blacks pepper, and the soup. I topped it with crushed crackers (thats whar I had on hand. Place it into the oven for 30 minutes at 350. came out great. I sauteed the cabbage because I didn`t want to wait for the water to boil. Came out great! Makes a good creamy side to a pork roast.
I had to try this too seeing a 5 star and a 1 star. I give it a 4 for very good, but not blow your socks off great. I am not sure cabbage can ever be a 5, but we liked this dish a lot and I'll definitely make again.
I love cabbage and I love rye bread, This was very good. I made as directed except I did not make layers and I sprinkled the cabbage with caraway seeds. Maybe next time I will use cheddar instead of parmesan, could use a little more flavor. I served it with salmon but it would also go well with ham or kielbasa. I will be making this again.