Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This came from 'The Old-Fashioned Cookbook by Jan McBride Carlton. Delicious, even to those who think they don't like cabbage. This recipe calls for American cheese, I used Swiss instead, but the remainder of the recipe I kept the same.
- 1 lb cabbage, coarsely shredded (about 7 cups)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- pepper, just a dash
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1⁄2 cup American cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons corn flake crumbs
- Cook cabbage in boiling water for 8-10 minutes or just until tender. Drain.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoons salt.
- Melt butter and stir in flour, remaining 1/2 teaspoons salt, and pepper.
- Add milk and mustard and cook until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Combine cabbage, sauce, and half the cheese.
- Spoon into buttered 1 quart casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese mixed with corn flake crumbs.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.