I got this recipe years ago from Bon Appetit. Perfect for the fall season.
Make and share this Baked Butternut Squash with Apples and Maple Syrup recipe from Food.com.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs butternut squash, peeled,quartered lengthwise,seeded,and cut crosswise into 1/4 inch thick slices
- 2 lbs granny smith apples, peeled,quartered,cored,cut crosswise into 1/4 inch thick slices
- 3⁄4 cup dried currant
- fresh grated nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- 3⁄4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1⁄4 cup butter, cut into pieces
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Cook squash in a large pot of boiling salted water until almost tender; about 3 minutes.
- Drain well.
- Combine squash, apples and currants in a 13x9 inch casserole dish.
- Season with nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
- In a saucepan, combine maple syrup, butter, and lemon juice.
- Whisk over low heat until butter melts.
- Pour syrup over squash mixture and toss to coat.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 1 hour or until squash and apples are very tender; stir occasionally.
- Cool 5 minutes and serve.