Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a great side for Thanksgiving.
Make and share this Baked Butternut Squash recipe from Food.com.
- 1 about 1 - 2 lb butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon anise seed (optional)
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease/spray a 2-qt baking dish.
- Place squash cubes into a buttered 2-quart baking dish; sprinkle with salt and pepper, cardomom, (optional aniseed), and brown sugar. Drizzle the melted butter and lemon juice over the top; toss to coat well.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350* oven for about 30-40 minutes or until squash is to desired tenderness.
This is a very easy recipe. I didn't add the anise but did add some paprika and a dash of cayenne pepper. I also was out of brown sugar so put in half the recipe amount in maple syrup. I also used half the butter and put olive oil for the other half. At the end of baking, I sprinkled the dish with dry parsley. It was a big hit - everyone loved it!
This is fantastic. I would never have thought to use cardamon with squash but it is wonderful- I didn't use any star anise.,cut back on the butter and used Splenda brown sugar - I also cut back on the splenda. This is a do again and again recipe.
This was sooo good!! DH loves it and he is not usually too fond of squash. I used splenda brown sugar mix and cut that in half; also cut the butter in half and it was still delicious without the anise seed, had none. Loved the combination of cardamom, brown sugar and lemon and of course the butter just topped it off perfectly. I will be making this again!! Thanks for sharing it! Dec 25/08 wow what a success, the hit of Christmas dinner!!I should have made a double recipe, everyone wanted more I did use the star anise this time, used the stars just incase some didn't like and could pick them out but no one did, they loved the falvour as did I, a wonderful special recipe thanks!!!!