Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Baked doughnuts contain less fat, found this in THe Healthy Body Cookbook...haven't tried but thought it might be a more healthy alternative that my little guy might like.
- 6 egg whites
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons safflower oil
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg (ground)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove (ground)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon mace
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Lightly spray muffin pan with cooking spray; Whisk together egg whites vigorously until they are frothy. Add buttermilk, oil & continue to mix.
- Add the the whole wheat flou, all purpose flour, powdered sugar, nutmeg, cloves, mace, & cinnamon. Beat the mixture until smooth.
- Divide the bater evenly between the cups of muffin pan & bake 20 minutes.
- Cool pan on wire rack for 1 minute.
- Dump donuts from pan and let cool a few minutes , then sprinkle lightly with powdered sugar.
Wow! I'm not sure where to start with these donuts. They're a snap to put together, they smelled heavenly while baking & they were puffy & round when fresh out of the oven. Then while cooling they fell flat & the bottoms literally sucked up into the middle, leaving a large thumbprint like hole on the undersides. They are heavy like a thick pancake but they don't fall apart when my toddler carried one off. I personally think they could be even sweeter, but the combination of spices was wonderful & I loved having the whole wheat in there. I followed the recipe exactly, so I'm not sure if they are supposed to look like little hockey pucks or if I did something wrong, but I will be making them again. Possibly adding a litte extra sweetness is all. I'll have to try them with syrup as they remind me of very thick dutch babies. Thanks for sharing, 'Diva! Made for the Fall 2008 PAC-O.