Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I served these for xmas last year,and had several requests for the recipe.A truly delicious way to serve this esteemed vegetable.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs Brussels sprouts
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons parsley, chopped
- 1 cup water, reserved from the cooked sprouts
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 325*.
- Peel the outer leaves from the sprouts and cut an X into the bottom of each sprout.
- Boil and simmer the sprouts in water for 10 mins or until tender, Drain and reserve 1 cup of the hot cooking liquid.
- Melt butter in a small skillet, add green onions and saute for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and cook for 3 minutes add bacon, garlic and parsley and cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Pour in reserved water, add salt and pepper and bring to a boil, stirring constantly until thickened to consistency of heavy cream.
- Place sprouts in a buttered casserole. Pour the sauce over and top with grated cheese, then breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 30 mins until top is golden.
Yummy!!! I had 2 lbs of sprouts to cook-so next time I will make a bit more of the roux so I have more on the sprouts!! Will make this again!!