Prep 12 mins
Cook 21 hrs
I found this on alleasyrecipes.com. I'm posting it for ZWT 6. Sweden Scandinavia
- 473.18 ml dried brown beans (available in specialty stores)
- 1419.54 ml water
- 7.39 ml salt
- 118.29 ml white vinegar
- 118.29 ml dark corn syrup
- 44.37 ml brown sugar, packed
- 29.58 ml butter, melted
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- Pick over and rinse the beans. Add the water and soak the beans at least 12 hours.
- Bring the beans and soaking water to a boil. Cover the pan and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
- Add the salt, vinegar, syrup, brown sugar, butter, and cinnamon stick. Stir to mix.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour, or until the beans are tender. The liquid should be as thick as a sauce at the end of the cooking period.
- If the liquid is not thickened, turn up the heat for 10 minutes, or until the liquid is reduced. Remove the cinnamon stick. Serve hot.
This is the best version of brown beans that I have ever had, and I have lived in Sweden for 8 years! I almost left out the vinegar, but decided at the last minute to put it in, I am happy that I did, it was a great sweet and sour taste and they were perfect on rice. Thank you CJay for the wonderful and easy recipe.