Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
One of the best bread recipes in Grandma's Recipe Box. Grandma would have this bread in the oven before my sister and I got up. We'd wake to the smell of it baking. Breakfast would include thick, warm slices spread with apple butter. My sister still craves this bread.
- 1 1⁄2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups graham flour
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 2 cups sour milk or 2 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄3 cup shortening, melted
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- Sift flour, soda, salt and sugar together.
- Add graham flour and mix well.
- Add raisins and stir.
- In separate bowl, combine beaten eggs, milk, melted shortening and molasses.
- Turn liquids into dry ingredients.
- Stir vigorously until all flour is dampened.
- Pour batter into 14x9x2" greased bread pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes.