Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This was my introduction to the concept of the frittata, from a Light Cuisine cookbook of my mother's. I have used every combination from the 6 eggs and 2 egg whites, to 4 eggs and a cup of egg substitute, to 2 cups of egg substitute, all with success (though it's a bit tastier with a real egg or two included).
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- 2 cups finely chopped broccoli
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry basil
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 6 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- Heat oil and butter in a wide non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until onion begins to soften (about 3 minutes).
- Stir in garlic, parsley, broccoli, and basil. Continue cooking, stirring often, until broccoli is bright green (about 3 minutes).
- Remove from heat and stir in salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons of the cheese.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and egg whites until well blended. Stir in broccoli mixture.
- Spray a shallow 2 quart baking dish with cooking spray. Pour the broccoli mixture into the dish. Sprinkle evenly with the remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree oven until frittata is firm in center when touched (25 to 30 minutes).
Meh. A bit too eggy, also needs more depth of flavor... Might try ginger and green chilis in there next time (?). Or maybe more complex herbs like herbs de Provence
Great recipe and easy to modify to meet your tastebuds...I've added red peppers, asparagus, etc... Kids love this too. It really doesn't make much--I would say enough for 3 people. I've doubled this and used a 13 x 9 pan and cooked about the same amount of time. It works great. Have fun and experiment with this one!
Perfect cooking times and amounts; a nice healthy way to start the day too! I think this would best serve four people unless you served with some fruit or another side. I don't recommend stirring in the cheese in Step#3 because it melts and makes it harder to clean your skillet - just sprinkle on the top in the last 10 minutes of baking. Very good!