Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Phyllis Phillio, Sparta, NJ as published in Jersey Fresh Cooks, 2001. This was in the Star-Ledger newspaper today and it sounds good.
- 1 large broccoli, washed, broken into pieces
- 4 tablespoons sweet butter
- 3 tablespoons shallots, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken broth or 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 lb mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- Cook broccoli just until tender.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Arrange cooked broccoli in the bottom of a baking dish.
- Melt butter in a saucepan, add shallots and garlic and cook, stirring, about 4 minutes.
- Do not let butter brown.
- Stirring vigorously with a whisk, sprinkle with flour and slowly add the broth; stirring until thick and simmer 8 minutes.
- While broth is simmering, arrange the cheese over the stems, allowing the broccoli flowerets to stick out.
- Pour broth over broccoli and sprinkle with bread crumbs.
- Bake until cheese melts, about 10-12 minutes.