1 hr 10 mins
A great holiday recipe - making the Tomato Chutney is the most time-consuming part of this recipe and sometimes I'm in too much of a hurry ... good thing there are excellent chutneys now on the market! If you feel as lazy as I often do, you could just use a good-quality, purchased tomato or fruit chutney or preserve.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1For Baked Brie: On a lightly-floured surface, roll out 1 sheet of pastry 1/8 inch thick (about 15 inches in diameter) and, using Brie as a guide, cut out a round the size of the Brie.
- 2With a 2 ¾ inch star-shaped cutter, cut out 5 stars from the trimmings.
- 3Halve Brie horizontally.
- 4Roll out remaining sheet of pastry 1/8 inch thick and transfer to a shallow baking pan, about 15 ½ X 10 ½ inches.
- 5Centre bottom half of Brie, cut side up, on pastry in pan and spread ½ cup of the chutney to within ½ inch of the Brie edge.
- 6Top with remaining half of Brie, cut side down.
- 7Without stretching pastry, wrap up over Brie and trim excess to leave a 1 inch border over top of Brie.
- 8Brush border with some egg and and top with reserved pastry round, pressing edges of dough together gently but firmly.
- 9Brush top of pastry with remaining egg wash and arrange stars decoratively over.
- 10Lightly brush stars with egg, being VERY careful not to let egg drip over edge of stars, which would prevent the pastry from rising.
- 11With the back of a table knife, gently score side of pastry with vertical marks, being careful not to pierce dough.
- 12Chill Brie, uncovered, 30 minutes to set egg wash.
- 13(may be made up to 1 day ahead and kept chilled, loosely covered) Preheat oven to 425F.
- 14Bake in middle of oven 20 minutes, or until puffed and golden.
- 15Let stand 20 minutes before serving for a very runny center, 40 minutes for a less-runny cheese.
- 16Serve with remaining chutney.
- 17To make Tomato Chutney: In a heavy saucepan, combine all ingredients.
- 18Cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes.
- 19Reduce heat to low and simmer mixture, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes longer, or until thickened and reduced to about 2 ½ cups.
- 20Chutney keeps, chilled and covered, about 3 months.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Brie with Tomato Chutney
Serving Size: 1 (2290 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 413.4
- Calories from Fat 229
- Total Fat 25.5 g
- Saturated Fat 10.3 g
- Cholesterol 55.4 mg
- Sodium 599.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 14.9 g
- Protein 12.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of