Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
This appetizer never fails to impress. From Bon Appetit Magazine, December 1995.
Make and share this Baked Brie With Caramelized Onions recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 cups sliced onions (about 4 large)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine (chardonnay, pinot grigio or chablis are all fine)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 (32 -36 ounce) french brie cheese, packed in wooden box (reserve box)
- 2 French baguettes, sliced
- Melt butter in heavy very large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onions; sauté until just tender, about 6 minutes.
- Add minced thyme, reduce heat to medium and cook until onions are golden, stirring often, about 25 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté 2 minutes.
- Add 1/4 cup wine; stir until almost all liquid evaporates, about 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle sugar over onions and sauté until soft and brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add remaining 1/4 cup wine; stir just until liquid evaporates, about 2 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cool. (Can be prepare 2 days ahead). Cover and refrigerate.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Unwrap Brie, reserving bottom of wooden box. Cut away only top rind of cheese, leaving rind on sides and bottom intact. Return Brie to box, rind side down.
- Place box on baking sheet. Top Brie evenly with onion mixture. Bake until cheese just melts, about 30 minutes.
- Transfer Brie in box in platter. Surround with baguette slices.