Recipe by SusieQusie
An easy impressive do ahead appetizer. UPDATE 9/15/2006 - adopted from the Recipezaar account.
Top Review by s'kat
This was indeed very easy, and ultimately impressive. I made this for my supervisor's birthday. The brie was surrounded on a tray by a strawberry slurry that had macerated in sugar and Grand Marnier for about an hour. Fantastic. But I'm uncertain about this being classified as an appetizer, because it sure tasted like dessert to me...
- 2 -3 lbs brie round
- 1⁄2 cup strawberry preserves
- 1⁄3 cup toasted almond, finely chopped
- 1 lb frozen puff pastry, thawed
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 egg yolk
Directions See How It's Made
- Carefully lay the cheese on its side and using a long, sharp knife, horizontally cut in half.
- Spread the preserves on the cut side of the bottom layer of cheese.
- Sprinkle on the nuts.
- Replace the top half of the brie.
- Roll out the puff pastry into a circle, about double the diameter of the wheel of Brie.
- Place the Brie in the center of the pastry.
- Gather up the edges and decoratively twist together.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours wrapped in plastic.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Beat the egg yolk and brush over the pastry.
- Bake about 40 minutes, until the pastry is evenly puffed and brown.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.