Recipe by The Bare Asp
I have a breadfruit tree in my backyard and never had any idea how to prepare them...it was all so simple once a friend of mine from Chuuk gave me this easy recipe.
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt your butter, taking care not to brown or burn it, mix in nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Place aside or better yet, place in a small bowl and place in the refrigerator to set up again.
- Once you have your ripe breadfruit pull on the stem, it should give way with a tug and when the step comes off, the innards should come with it as well.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the brown sugar into the hollow breadfruit.
- Take your hardened butter mixture and with a knife or spatula, place into the breadfruit followed by the rest of the brown sugar.
- Cover the hole in the top of the breadfruit (I tried using about an inch of a plantain to stuff the hole and it worked pretty well).
- Place in a baking pan with 2 cups of water and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hours.
- Allow breadfruit to cool for 15 minutes.
- Cut into quarters and dig inches.
- Depending on the consistency of your breadfruit, it might not be a bad idea to prep up an extra 1/2 cup of butter to use once the breadfruit is quartered.