1/1 Photo of Baked Blueberry-Pecan French Toast With Blueberry Syrup
1 hr 5 mins
Pinaygourmet #345142's Note:
You don't have to be in the kitchen at the crack of dawn to prepare a terrific breakfast. In this recipe the French toast is soaked overnight like bread pudding — in the morning all you need to do is add the topping and pop it in the oven. Serve it with coffee, juice, and fresh fruit and you've got a well-rounded way to start the day.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 thick crusted baguette (24-inches)
- 6 large eggs
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup pecans (about 3 ounces)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter (plus 1 teaspoon extra to be used for the pecan topping)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups blueberries (about 12 ounces)
- 1Butter a 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Cut twenty 1-inch slices from baguette and arrange in one layer in baking dish.
- 2In a large bowl whisk together eggs, milk, nutmeg, vanilla, and 3/4 cup brown sugar and pour evenly over bread. Chill mixture, covered, until all liquid is absorbed by bread, at least 8 hours, and up to 1 day.
- 3Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 4In a shallow baking pan spread pecans evenly and toast in middle of oven until fragrant, about 8 minutes. Toss pecans in pan with 1 teaspoon butter and salt.
- 5Increase temperature to 400°F.
- 6Sprinkle pecans and blueberries evenly over bread mixture. Cut 1/2 stick butter into pieces and in a small saucepan heat with remaining 1/4 cup brown sugar, stirring, until butter is melted.
- 7Drizzle butter mixture over bread and bake mixture 35 minutes, or until any liquid from blueberries is bubbling.
- 8Blueberry Syrup:.
- 9In a small saucepan cook blueberries and maple syrup over moderate heat until berries have burst, about 3 minutes.
- 10Pour syrup through a sieve into a heatproof pitcher, pressing on solids, and stir in lemon juice.
- 11Syrup may be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered. Reheat syrup before serving.
- 12Serve French toast with syrup.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Blueberry-Pecan French Toast With Blueberry Syrup
Serving Size: 1 (255 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 542.9
- Calories from Fat 148
- Total Fat 16.4 g
- Saturated Fat 5.3 g
- Cholesterol 109.2 mg
- Sodium 555.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 84.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 35.2 g
- Protein 16.2 g