Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Britain is famous for its puddings and this one is just delicious served piping hot with vanilla and lemon flavoured custard or good vanilla ice cream - oh my!!! Another brilliant Claire Macdonald recipe
- 2 lbs blueberries or 2 lbs blackberries
- 3 -6 ounces sugar (or to taste)
- 1 lemon, zest of
For the pudding mix
- 4 ounces self raising flour
- 2 ounces ground almonds, dry fried to toast them
- 3 ounces caster sugar
- 3 ounces butter, melted and cooled
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄4 pint buttermilk or 1⁄4 pint milk
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 5 drops almond extract
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- preheat oven to 350°F.
- butter a 9x12 inch ovenproof dish.
- put berries, sugar and 1 lemon zest into dish and mix.
- Sieve the flour into a bowl.
- add cooled ground almonds and sugar.
- Beat in the melted butter, egg, buttermilk, lemon zest and almond extract.
- spoon this over the fruit leaving about 1 inch of fruit uncovered around the sides.
- sprinkle the flaked almonds over the top and bake until the fruit is bubbling and the pudding is browned, about 40 minutes.
We loved this! Used less sugar, added the lemon juice as well as the zest, and left out the melted butter. Oh and used mascarpone instead of the buttermilk. I know it sounds like I'd ended up with some other pud, but I'm sure the end result was much the same as the original. Will definately make this again!
this was a lovely light dessert i brought to my dd's home for her bbq dinner.the cooking time and directions were right on. i used 1 lb of blueberries and 1 lb of blackberries. the only change i'd make is to add extra sugar as it was a bit tart for our tastes, but that could have beeen due to the berries first coming into season, though, so the next time i try this i will taste them first before deciding on the amt of sugar to be added.