Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Czaika's Blueberry Farm in Tawas City, Michigan.
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 10 slices French bread (3/4 inch)
- 4 1⁄2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Beat eggs in a bowl. Add milk, vanilla and baking soda. Pour into a large shallow pan. Add bread slices, turning once to coat each side. Cover and chill at least one hour up to overnight.
- Also the night before, mix blueberries, sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and melted butter. Chill overnight.
- Remove both pans from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Place prepared bread on top of blueberry mixture. Spread small amount of softened butter on top of bread.
- Bake uncovered in 400 oven for 30 minutes until toast is golden brown and blueberries are bubbly.
This was pretty tasty. I used a stale loaf of French Bread from the freezer and added an extra egg to make sure it got soaked in. I got sidetracked and layered this backwards. I buttered the bottom of my dish then ran my bread through the egg mixture, put in the pan then poured the remaining egg mixture over the top. Then I topped with the blueberry mixture, covered and put the whole thing in the fridge until the next morning. It baked up fine and was enjoyed. Thanks for sharing.
Definitely more than a French toast, & deliciously so, at that! I made but one change in the recipe, as I used a whole grain bread rather than the French bread listed (so I guess it isn't actually French toast, anyway! What the heck ~ The whole thing makes for a wonderful breakfast, & when we have overnight company another time, I'll be having this in the morning! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed in New Kids on the Block recipe tag]