Recipe by Spencer #2
From Czaika's Blueberry Farm in Tawas City, Michigan.
Top Review by SloppyJoe
This was pretty tasty. I used a stale loaf of French Bread from the freezer and added an extra egg to make sure it got soaked in. I got sidetracked and layered this backwards. I buttered the bottom of my dish then ran my bread through the egg mixture, put in the pan then poured the remaining egg mixture over the top. Then I topped with the blueberry mixture, covered and put the whole thing in the fridge until the next morning. It baked up fine and was enjoyed. Thanks for sharing.
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 10 slices French bread (3/4 inch)
- 4 1⁄2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat eggs in a bowl. Add milk, vanilla and baking soda. Pour into a large shallow pan. Add bread slices, turning once to coat each side. Cover and chill at least one hour up to overnight.
- Also the night before, mix blueberries, sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and melted butter. Chill overnight.
- Remove both pans from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Place prepared bread on top of blueberry mixture. Spread small amount of softened butter on top of bread.
- Bake uncovered in 400 oven for 30 minutes until toast is golden brown and blueberries are bubbly.