1/1 Photo of Baked Blooming Onion With Thai Sweet Chili Sauce (Gluten-Free)
Instead of ordering the blooming onion at Outback Steakhouse which contains whopping 2210 calories and 134 g of fat, you can enjoy this at your home! For more healthy, gluten-free, pesco-vegetarian recipes, please visit my blog, www.innerharmonynutrition.com.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large onion
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs (gluten-free, or use a piece of dry gluten-free bread and process in a food processor)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- black pepper
- cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro (or fresh cilantro, minced)
- 1Preheat oven to 400°F/200°C degrees.
- 2Peel and cut off the top 1/4 inch of the onion.
- 3Place the onion cut-side down. Starting 1/2 inch from the root, make a downward cut all the way through to the board.
- 4Repeat to make four evenly spaced cuts around the onion.
- 5Continue slicing between each section until you have 16 evenly spaced cuts.
- 6Turn the onion over and use your fingers to gently separate the outer pieces.
- 7Melt the coconut oil and brush the oil on both sides of the onion petals.
- 8In a bowl, combine panko, salt, pepper, cayenne, and cilantro. Sprinkle the panko mixture on the onion.
- 9Bake in the oven for about 30 – 40 minutes.
- 10In the meantime, place all the ingredients for the sauce except for the potato starch in a small pan.
- 11Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and let boil for 3 – 5 minutes.
- 12In a small bowl, dissolve potato starch in 1 Tbsp of water. Reduce heat to low and add the potato starch mixture.
- 13Stir for a minute or so until the sauce is thickened.
- 14Taste the sauce and adjust the amount of sugar or chili.
- 15Infuse love and serve with the sauce on the side.
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Blooming Onion With Thai Sweet Chili Sauce (Gluten-Free)
Serving Size: 1 (85 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 138.9
- Calories from Fat 68
- Total Fat 7.5 g
- Saturated Fat 6.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 776.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 2.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
coconut sugar crystals